Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Finally!!!!

So baseball is over.....finally. Damen's team took 2nd place in the playoffs last Friday. I was waiting to make this post until I have pics but who knows when I will get those. So just know awesome pics are to come. I just signed Damen up for Football, on to the next sport. Today has not been the best day. I received a phone call from my mom this morning telling me that my grandma Price had a heart attack this morning and things don't look good. For the past 3 months she has been at a rehab facility for a broken hip after she fell at home. Well after the first surgery her other hip needed to be operated on. Back in the rehab center there was a staff member that moved my grandma WRONGLY and broke her femur which sent her back to the hospital for a third surgery. Now for the past few weeks she has been screaming in pain, getting no relief and then this morning had the heart attack. The doctors have told us she has an infection that is circulating through her blood. Right now the family is saddened and angry since this was an avoidable condition my grandma is in. Her heart was so weak that the infection caused the heart attack and the infection came from the femur fracture which was avoidable. I would like to have a "chat" with this staff member, but the family is taking action the legal way. Being a nurse, a health care provider I am having a hard time that my sweet grandma endured poor care and pain that has probably cost her her life.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Ironically my good friend just lost her mother in much the same way. She fell and broke her neck, but the EMTs moved her without putting her on a back board, then the doctors only x-rayed her hip to see if that was broken, and all the medical staff continued to lift her, in spite of her screams every time her neck was moved, without supporting her neck. Finally they x-rayed her neck and found it was broken. She wasn't strong enough to go through surgery to have a rod put in because of her age, and the fact that she was on dialysis. They ended up having to make the decision to take her off dialysis, and she died the next day. She didn't have to be in so much pain, but inept people gave her neglectful care. How sad we are for her and your grandma Price. They were too good to suffer so much. It's just too bad you weren't able to be the nurse on call. We love you, Suzie. You are a great woman with much compassion.